Arts NSW is a branch within NSW Trade & Investment and is the NSW Government’s arts policy and funding body. We share a commitment to building stronger communities through the arts.We support NSW to be a vibrant, dynamic and creative place which values artists and our cultural heritage and enriches communities. We work to ensure that artists flourish and the NSW economy is strengthened by the capacity of our creative industries to generate wealth and create jobs.
We aim to develop
- A culture of participation in the arts across the diversity of people and communities in NSW
- A flourishing and innovative arts sector, with artists, arts and cultural organisations and creative industries being part of a dynamic ecology
- Vibrant cultural places and spaces across NSW that celebrate our arts and heritage, which everyone can experience and be a part of.
We do this by
- Promoting opportunities for people to connect with and enjoy a diverse artistic and cultural life
- Supporting artists and arts and cultural organisations through advice, funding and grant support
- Partnering within the Government and with local communities and businesses to promote the arts, culture and creative industries
- Working with the state cultural institutions; the Art Gallery of NSW, the NSW State Library, the Australian Museum, the Sydney Opera House, the Powerhouse Museum, and Screen NSW.
- Managing a property portfolio that provides subsidised accommodation to arts and cultural organisations of all shapes and sizes and working in partnerships to improve cultural infrastructure.
- Providing policy advice to Government on the arts and cultural sector and creative industries.
Why the arts matter
Experimenting with new ideas, challenging artists and audiences, and experiencing new ways of working are all central to the arts.
The arts promote a culture of learning, innovation and creativity. They bring diverse communities together, respecting their distinct traditions, and strengthening understanding.