The NSW Arts and Cultural Policy Framework contributes to the Government’s State Priority to increase attendance at cultural venues and events in NSW by 15% by 2019.
Arts and culture uniquely position Sydney as a creative global city and the gateway to our regions. Create in NSW outlines the NSW Government’s 10-year strategic policy framework. It focuses on increased access for audiences, organisational strength, and artistic and business excellence across NSW, with an emphasis on regional NSW, Western Sydney and metropolitan Sydney. Increasing the attendance at arts and cultural venues and events by 15% will have flow-on benefits for job creation, the visitor economy and education.
Through an evidence-based and outcomes approach we are growing the understanding of the value of arts and culture to competitively position our State to help attract investment, skilled talent and visitors, as well as help build liveable communities and enhance individual well-being.
Following sector and community consultation, the NSW Government launched Create in NSW: NSW Arts and Cultural Policy Framework in February 2015.
Create in NSW is a platform for our arts and cultural sector, our communities and our business and government partners to collaboratively shape our cultural future. It supports vibrant arts and cultural activity across our State. Built on three mutually reinforcing ambitions – excellence, access and strength – Create in NSW will guide future strategy, investment and partnerships to grow a thriving, globally connected arts and cultural sector with and for the people of NSW.
Arts NSW has a strategic leadership role in implementing the policy framework and ongoing engagement with the sector.
The Highlights Report 2015-2016, captures the achievements during year one of Create in NSW and is available for download below.
- Excellence is possible when artists are supported to be bold and ambitious. Excellent art and culture is about life-changing experiences that can have intellectual, emotional and social impacts. Excellence manifests in art, events and programs that are relevant and connect with communities in new ways. This in turn cultivates diverse perspectives and reflects our distinctive strengths.
- Our ambition for excellence will be achieved through a focus on:
- Aboriginal arts and culture
- International connections
- Revitalising infrastructure
- Access is about welcoming people to participate in the artistic and cultural life of NSW. The NSW Government is dedicated to increasing participation. We want people to encounter art as part of their daily lives.
- Two key themes underpin our ambition to increase access:
- Arts for young people.
- Of great importance to the arts and cultural sector is the talent and capacity of its practitioners and workers. The NSW Government’s goal is to make the State a location of choice for the mobile and innovative creative workforce.
- Building strength in arts and culture in NSW will be achieved through:
- Professional development
- Business sustainability
- Networks and partnerships
- Research and evaluation.
To be kept in the loop with the latest updates, please subscribe to the Arts NSW eNews here.